Thursday, April 03, 2008

Livin' the Life: Lenny Dykstra

No, this is not a new VH1 or MTV reality show, but a New Yorker article about Lenny Dykstra and what he's up to, which apparently is a lot. Read here and see what "the dude" is up to and whether you think he's actually a successful investor and businessman or not. As with Dykstra when he played, the coverage certainly is entertaining.

Perhaps we should have a contest to see who's a better trader -- Dykstra or one of the lacrosse players features in the Wall Street Journal article that I blogged about earlier today.

3 comments:

Ethan said...

In what sense is he not "actually" a successful businessman? I suppose he could be lucky in the markets, but he built his car wash business up from nothing and sold it for, I believe, $55 million. That's not too shabby.

SportsProf said...

Ethan: Are you sure that all of this is true? I also heard that he owes a lot of money (about $20 million to banks). I'm somewhat skeptical about this story -- much of what has been said, unfortunately, is hard to confirm. Thanks for posting.

Ethan said...

I am not absolutely certain. I don't have any information that is not out in the media. Some of the wealthiest people I have ever met made their money from incredibly mundane sources like gas stations and fast food franchises. So, this is not at all shocking to me that he would live in an $18 million house and own a jet.

If he has as much money as he seems to have, it's also not shocking for him to have $20 million in outstanding loans. And the banks are probably not worried at all.

If you got a kick out of that article, you'll love this YouTube clip from his Real Sports appearance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-b8OAJYpkk