Saturday, November 19, 2005

About My Ivy League Hoops Prediction. . .

Cornell lost to Penn State today.

The significance?

Penn State is not to Division I men's hoops what Temple is to Division I-A football, but it is to major-conference men's hoops what Temple is to Division I-A football.

The Big Red now know that while they have talent, it just might not be enough. Clearly, Cornell has some work to do. Penn State's men's hoops have suffered more personnel losses in recent years than an insolvent company, and an Ivy team that wants to be part of the mid-major conversation should have put them away.

That's not to say that I'm relegating Cornell to the Ivies' second division. Suffice it to say that they're going to have to do a lot better to supplant a rebuilding Princeton team that has little depth and a Penn team that has its least amount of depth in years. Losing to Penn State doesn't send a message that you're formidable.

No comments: