Friday, October 21, 2005

"Honoring" Larry Bird

Read all about it here (and I'm not talking about the recent SI article that discusses Bird's appreciation for Ron Artest, either).

When baseball Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson inked a free agent deal with the Yankees, he said, "they'll probably name a candy bar after me some day." And they did, and they gave it out for free to the fans, who ended up showering the field with the bars.

But I doubt anyone has done for any other professional athlete what the guy referenced in the linked article did to honor Bird.

It's clearly unique.

And it may never happen again, either.

2 comments:

THN said...

Nice. Sorry I missed that one.

LargeBill said...

I posted about this one and said he should have said he was a big fan of Billy Martin. One commenter reminded me about Jim Otto (# 00)