Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Observations at Health Clubs

I belong to a pretty large health club, both in terms of membership and offerings.  Here are some general observations, from the bad to the indifferent to the good.


1.  Don't Engage Me in Long Conversations.  I am there to work out, and I am focused on a three-part workout -- some aerobics, some weights, and some flexibility.  You want to say hello?  Fine.  You are a long-lost buddy I haven't seen in a while, we'll talk.  But if you want to vector your political views onto me and vent about something, find someone else and somewhere else to do so.  My time is precious, even more so as I get older.  Let's say hello, a kind word, perhaps something at least mildly amusing, and then get on with our workouts.


2.  Don't Talk on Your Cell Phone Loudly While on an Exercise Machine.  I mean, really, aren't we supposed to go to the gym to get away from all sorts of media save the songs that you can listen to on your phone while you are working out?  I really don't need to hear you counsel your parents, counsel your kids, catch up with a friend who seems to be very needy.  There is a time and a place for that, but, most certainly, not right next to me while I'm trying to work my intervals on an elliptical.


3.  Don't Hog Machines.  Look, I get it, we all have routines and want to do certain machines in a certain order.  But you must not commandeer two machines at once, by leaving a towel and your phone on one of them and then a workout bag or sweatshirt on another.  Dedicated gym devotees tend to respect people's time and space, so there is little chance that someone else will prevent you from doing what you need to do on a machine. 


4.  Work Out Properly.  Now, this one is up to the person, of course, but the Larry the Lolly-gaggers just slay me.  You know the type, they get on an elliptical and stay there for an hour at a very low speed.  I haven't the foggiest what they think they are getting out of this workout other than anesthetizing themselves that they are at the gym and, as a result, doing something to improve their health.  This workout looks like an elliptical workout in slow motion.  Didn't anyone ever tell these people that interval workouts are the way to go, to get one's heart going?


5.  Work Out Properly, Parts 2 through Infinity.    To anyone who concentrates in one area, how do you really feel?  Do those who only lift feel flexible and enjoy good cardio health?  To those who only do yoga have good bone density, have good cardio health and strength?  Do those who only do cardio have good bone density, strength and flexibility?  All three seem to be key to good health.  You don't have to spend a half day at the gym, and there are a bunch of things that you can do at home.   But staying fit requires that you focus on more than one area even if you love that area and don't like the rest.  Listen, you have the gym membership, so you might as well take advantage of everything your gym has to offer.


6.  Don't Insult Me.  I made conversation with a guy who was wearing a college sports t-shirt;  I went to a rival school.  I asked if he went there; he said no, but that his son "played ball" there, as if I knew what ball meant and then he explained football.  Now that school is viewed as one of the most snotty in its conference.  I offered that I went to a rival for graduate school.  Tough-guy dad then assesses me and says, "What, are you a Bernie Sanders supporter?"   Now,  I have not discussed politics on this blog and try to avoid the subject at all costs, and I will not reveal my thoughts on the Senator from Vermont.  What was clear was that this fellow did not mean the question as a compliment, but the way he asked it -- aggressive -- was uncalled for.  It then occurred to me that it wasn't just by chance why his two college-football-playing sons opted to live 3,000 miles away from dear old dad.


All in all, this bill of particulars is not all that terrible, as the good far outweigh the bad and there are so many offerings that I can get a good workout in a variety of ways.  I often say that if the average American halved his/her sugar intake, stretched 15 minutes a day and walked 30 minutes a day 5 days a week the healthcare system and our fellow citizens would be in far better shape.   There is a message in all of this -- instead of griping about the decline of the U.S. healthcare system, do what you can to control avoiding your own decline, as follows:


1.  Eat right. 
2.  Don't drink too much.
3.  Get a good night's sleep.
4.  Try to stay mellow and get away from social media.  People aren't trying to offend you personally or excluded you when they share their thoughts or gatherings.  And if they are, make your world bigger so that it doesn't matter.
5.  Exercise -- weights, flexibility and cardio.  5 days a week.
6.  Don't be lonely, circulate.  A lot.   While smoking and overeating can kill you, so can loneliness.  You might have a nice house with the 60-inch screen, a reclining chair and access to the best of Ben & Jerry's, but get out there and talk with people.  You will be glad that you did.
7.  Try to enjoy life's good things on occasion and celebrate when it is time.
8.  Help others, reach out to those in need.


There are many other adages, of course, and there are many elements to one's physical and mental health.  For sure, you aren't going to look like a CrossFitter or swimsuit model, but who does?  And you aren't going to change your habits in a week or lose ten pounds in a month.  But you have to start somewhere, and there is no time like the present.


Get going!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great article! Sport is very important for our health and well-being. I also fully agree that food and sleep are also important components for our health. My little sister is a student and often she has no time to sleep because she has many tasks. And so she has a painful look. Therefore, I want to advise students best site to buy college essay and get more free time to relax or hobby.